EU Commission’s adopted new rules on recycled plastics in food contact materials
Before being consumed, during the production and storing process, food comes into contact with a variety of materials and articles, such as food processing equipment, packaging and containers for food or kitchenware and tableware, which are referred to as Food Contact Materials (FCMs). To ensure food safety and high levels of protection for consumers, the Commission has developed a dedicated legislation, the FCM framework Regulation, as well as legislation on FCM for specific materials, including plastic and recycled plastic. While the FCM framework Regulation is about to undergo a thorough revision process, the European Commission has recently adopted new rules on recycled plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with foods, notably Commission Regulation (EU) 2022/1616, which entered into force on 10 October 2022, repealing Regulation (EC) No 282/2008.
What’s new? The adopted text introduces specific rules for the placing on the market of recycled plastic and recycled plastic materials and articles, general requirements for plastic recycling and the use of recycled plastic, as well as for the development and operation of different recycling technologies. A public Union register for the registration of information necessary for controls (novel technologies, recyclers, recycling processes and schemes and decontamination installations) will also be established.
WHAT DID YOU MISS?
- 06 December 2021 - 18 January 2022: Consultation on the draft Commission Regulation.
- 24 March 2022: The Standing Committee on Plants, Animals, Food and Feed (composed by representatives of all EU Member States and presided by a European Commission representative) discussed a revised version of the draft Regulation.
- 15 September 2022: Publication of Commission Regulation (EU) 2022/1616 on recycled plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with foods.
- 10 October 2022: Entry into force of Commission Regulation (EU) 2022/1616.
- 05 October 2022 - 11 January 2022: Public consultation on the revision of Commission Regulation (EU) 1935/2004 on EU rules on food contact materials.
- 2023: Publication of Commission Guidelines regarding the application of Commission Regulation (EU) 2022/1616 on recycled plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with foods.